Adventures in Asexuality

Saturday, January 08, 2005

Be Optimistic, Not Delusional

I've recently been corresponding with someone who lives very far away and is looking for a relationship. This is a person I get along with, who knows how far away I live, has seen my pictures, and still wants to keep writing. Boy, is he in for a surprise! Ha ha!

I haven't mentioned that I'm asexual yet, but we're not really at the deep-reveal level of conversation, either. At the moment we're still only discussing surface things like movies, weather and job pursuits. But he's very friendly and any time I manage to keep a new online friendship going for more than a week, I'm pretty impressed with myself.

Of course my imagination has gotten away from me and I'm already envisioning the possiblities of a long-distance relationship, complete with late-night instant-messenger chats and culminating in a romantic encounter at an international airport wherein he greets me with a single rose and a teddy bear wearing a foreign cap.

But hey, I do that to all the regulars. Almost any good friendship I maintain leads to me developing asexual crushes. Once you take the "would I have sex with this person?" aspect out of the equation (since for me it's a purely academic question free from pesky factors like actual sexual attraction), suddenly everybody seems a whole lot more appealing. Any time I encounter a kindred spirit in some form or another, I get all starry-eyed and drift off into fantasyland. Imagine, I think to myself. Watching movies with this person would be so much fun!

So I've got myself a new crush. The exhileration is building! What adventures lie ahead for me and my uncommitted online penpal?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home