Adventures in Asexuality

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

No, it's not a #&%$ typo

Sometimes I allow myself to sit back and imagine a future fantasy world in which asexuality is accepted as a sexual orientation (this might have to be preceded by homosexuality and bisexuality being accepted in the first place). And in that fantasy, I try to guess which side of the political spectrum is going to love/hate us most... (most... most...).

I like to think that the "left-wing liberal media" (whoever they are) would be among the first to support us. A substantial portion of us are gay- or bi-asexuals, and others are transgendered, so many of us are active in our GLBT communities in some form or another. If the GLBT community will have us - and there have already been strides made in this direction - there may one day be a GLBAT community or something.

On the other hand, I wonder if we might be appealing to the religious right, since we're the very opposite of the promiscuity and moral degradation they see running rampant in the world. No "abstinence only" education necessary for us, thanks - we already know we don't want it! Of course, the religious right might look at us as deviant freaks because we never want to have sex, and we could end up viewed with the same suspicion that's currently heaped on priests and other religious celibates.
But hey, at least we're not gay, right? Oh, wait.

*****

Occasionally, I consider dating religious men who are already inclined towards celibacy. Oh, not that I don't still intend to be honest about my asexuality, but I wonder if it might not be nice to date a guy and know he's not going to make a move on me because he's afraid God will maim him. You know, not a guy who's so religious that he wouldn't date a borderline agnostic or that he would try to convert me all the time, but religious enough.

*****

When I type "asexuality" or "asexual" into Google, it asks me if I'm sure I didn't mean "sexuality" or "sexual."
I'm just gonna lay that one out there without commenting.

2 Comments:

  • Google doesn't do that anymore. :)
    The people to speak out for asexuals would be libertarians, I think.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 November 2005 at 17:53  

  • I'm a BAT! Awesome, I like including it there, then. *flaps off, happily*

    (biromantic, asexual, transgender - also libertarian, for that matter)

    By Anonymous K, at 22 February 2011 at 06:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home