Adventures in Asexuality

Sunday, October 23, 2005

That asexual thang

I'd love to post something long and exciting for the drive-by viewers that occasionally comment, because I feel I owe you all something entertaining. Alas, I've never been very good at lying, so what you'll get is the truth instead.

The truth is that I've met someone. I don't know if this is The Someone, of Soul Mate mythology. You know, the one they all talk about and say everyone's got to find someday (if pop songs are to be believed). But I have met someone, and that someone is asexual, and so far we get along famously.

We're not a couple. I don't know if we will ever be a couple, and if we ever became a couple, I'm not sure how our interactions would change exactly. We've never done the asexual dating thing before, so we're sort of feeling our way around for now. But it feels wonderful, not worrying about expectations, not having to explain what I'm comfortable with and why. We joke about having hot steamy sex and I don't have to question whether secretly that's on any future agenda. It's like a dream, and part of me wants to rush things so that I can see where we end up, while part of me wants to linger, to savor the friendship we're building and the hope we're hanging on to for the future.

The rest, I guess, is up in the air. Whether things move on from here remains to be seen, but either way, I'm sure to get a story out of it. If nothing else, I've learned an awful lot about what I like and what I want, and now that I've seen what could be, I know now that I'll never stand for less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home